I had hoped to have pictures of my brand-new top sewn by me to post today. I got nothing. I finally settled down to make the Schoolhouse Tunic from Sew Liberated. I've been afraid to start this because I have to enlarge the pattern a few sizes to make it fit. This is a scary thing.
I've made Halloween costumes from patterns. I've made stuff up as I went along too, but I've never attempted to make something I would wear for real. Add to this that patterns for my Plus sized body are limited in quantity and styles. I don't think I'd even bother except I cannot find anything decent to wear this summer. Last summer I didn't really have enough clothes for work. I'm still in that spot now. There are a few things I can get away with, but that I feel like crap in.
All this to say, I attempted to make the tunic this weekend, but I didn't go big enough. Luckily I'm making a muslin first. I also copied the pattern onto swedish tracing paper first. I cut out the bodice pieces and sewed just those pieces out of very cheap cotton fabric. I only went up one size to start with. That was wishful thinking. I think it needs to be 2 sizes bigger still. That is depressing on multiple levels. And I'm out of swedish sewing paper.
I have a Simplicity pattern I bought last year that should fit without adjustments. I should just go with that, but I'm afraid that will be too small too. I just want to cut out a pattern, cut the fabric, sew it and be done. I don't want to have to redraft just to fit me.
I saw some mumus at Walmart. Maybe I should just give in. Mumus and caftans. Gah! Too depressing. I need to get some more tracing paper and try again.